Marinated Greek Olives (Elaía)
- Pitted Kalamata Olives and/or Chalkidiki or other green pitted olives (already in brine)
- A little water
- Pure extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Wine Vinegar (just a little)
- Garlic cloves to taste
- Fresh lemon
- Oregano and/or Greek Seasoning
laía are the traditional Greek snack or condiment. They appear everywhere -- Greek Salads, tucked next to your slice of Spanakopita or Pastitsio, served with a hunk of Feta cheese as a stand-alone appetizer.
You'll notice the ingredient amounts are a little vague. That's deliberate. This is a concoction whose best flavor profile is discovered through experimentation. Have fun!
- Crush garlic cloves with a wide knife blade, then mince finely
- Mix all ingredients except lemon and seasoning in a sealable glass jar.
- Add a squeeze of lemon and some shaved lemon rind
- Season to taste with oregano and/or Greek Seasoning
- Seal jar tightly; marinate 5+ hours
- Store in refrigerator